Larry Elder's Top Ten List for "Why Even Liberals Should Support the GOP"
Larry Elder is a best-selling author and radio talk-show host. To find out more about Larry Elder, or become an "Elderado," visit www.LarryElder.com.
"1) Incredibly weak recovery: President Barack Obama's tax/spend/regulation policy -- "stimulus"; continuation of TARP; bank, insurance company and auto industry bailouts; "quantitative easing" (aka the printing of money); cash for clunkers; minimum wage hikes; new regulatory rules on businesses; tripling of the deficit; addition of $4 trillion to the debt -- failed miserably to produce jobs and grow the economy at the historical rate expected after a deep recession.
2) ObamaCare: President Barack Obama promised it would "bend the cost curve" and that "if you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan." The chief Medicare actuary said neither of those claims is true. Two-thirds of doctors believe that ObamaCare will lower the quality of health care.
3) Bogus Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission: Comprised of six Democrats and four Republicans, the commission issued a majority report (with the Republicans dissenting) that blamed Wall Street greed. "Reckless Endangerment," a new book on the financial crisis co-authored by a New York Times columnist/business and financial editor, blames the central role played by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, as well as government policy that pressured banks into relaxing lending standards so that the "underrepresented" could buy homes they could not afford.
One of the FCIC's commissioners and its chief investigator both work for a major law firm that is suing a number of Wall Street players. The two stand to benefit financially from the commission's Wall-Street-is-the-bad-guy conclusion. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., who recommended a commissioner in question, now claims he was unaware of his tie to the law firm. The commission chairman, Democrat Phil Angelides -- who received $225,000 in campaign donations from the same law firm -- works for an offshore hedge fund that shorted mortgage-backed securities just before the crisis.
5) Libya: Against the advice of the top lawyer in the Pentagon and the State Department, Obama ignored the War Powers Resolution and authorized a military mission in Libya without congressional approval.
6) Left-wing judicial appointments: An Obama re-election could mean one or more additional liberal Supreme Court justices, ensuring that the "living, breathing document" view of the Constitution will apply to critical issues like gay marriage, the Second Amendment and the legality of ObamaCare.
7) Boeing vs. the National Labor Relations Board: In a recent press conference, Obama falsely called this a matter of Boeing "relocating" and "shutting down a plant or laying off workers because labor and management can't come to a sensible agreement." No, Boeing constructed a new facility in South Carolina with no related job losses at Boeing's home state of Washington. In fact, Boeing has been adding jobs in Washington. Here's the question: Can Boeing, subject to four costly strikes since 1989 in the non-right-to-work state of Washington, build a facility where it wishes?
9) Democrats' race cards: DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz calls the GOP anti-woman and anti-gay, and says it wants to "drag us all the way back to Jim Crow laws." Democrats -- from former presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter to Sen. Reid -- routinely attack Republicans by whipping out the race card.
10) Anti-voucher for urban schools: The D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program gave vouchers so that parents could choose the school for their children. The Department of Education hired an outside evaluator, who called it a success -- it improved reading scores and, most importantly, increased graduation rates from 70 percent to 82 percent. Despite the popularity of vouchers among Hispanic and black urban parents, Obama and the Democrats oppose them, and the D.C. program was canned."
Any questions? If so, take a look at this video - it should clear up any questions!